Get ready for the 2023 AFL Grand Final between Collingwood Magpies and Brisbane Lions! Explore the full day schedule, entertainment lineup, and more in this comprehensive guide.
The 2023 AFL Grand Final is set to be an electrifying showdown between the Collingwood Magpies and the Brisbane Lions. As the excitement builds, it’s essential to have a complete guide to the day’s schedule and entertainment lineup. In this article, we’ll take you through every aspect of this monumental event, ensuring you’re well-prepared to make the most of this unforgettable day.
Full Day Schedule
Let’s dive into the detailed schedule for the day, ensuring you won’t miss a moment of the action.
|8:00 am||Melbourne Cricket Club gates open|
|9:00 am||Seven Network pre-match coverage begins|
|9:30 am||General and AFL Reserve gates open|
|9:35 am||Grand final curtain-raiser begins: AFL Futures match – Team Selwood vs. Team Naitanui|
|12:30 pm||Grand final sprint – heats|
|1:00 pm||Teams warm up on the MCG|
|1:25 pm||Welcome to Country|
|1:25 pm||Retiring players motorcade (with performance from Mike Brady)|
|1:40 pm||Pre-match entertainment: KISS, William Barton, and Jess Hitchcock|
|2:11 pm||Umpires enter the field, match ball is delivered|
|2:15 pm||Brisbane players enter the field|
|2:18 pm||Collingwood players enter the field|
|2:23 pm||Acknowledgement of Country|
|2:24 pm||Premiership Cup delivered by ambassador Bachar Houli|
|2:25 pm||National anthem performed by Kate Miller-Heidke|
|2:28 pm||Coin toss|
|2:30 pm||AFL grand final starts|
|3:00 pm*||Quarter time|
|3:06 pm*||Second quarter starts|
|3:36 pm*||Half time|
|3:40 pm*||AFL grand final sprint|
|3:45 pm*||Half time entertainment: Mark Seymour & The Undertow with Kate Miller-Heidke|
|4:00 pm*||Third quarter starts|
|4:30 pm*||Three-quarter time|
|4:36 pm*||Fourth quarter starts|
|5:06 pm*||Final siren|
|5:20 pm*||Post-match presentation|
|6:00 pm*||Post-match entertainment (KISS)|
*All times are in AEST (Sydney/Melbourne time). Please note that game events may cause slight variations in the schedule.
The Grand Day Unveiled
Now, let’s delve into each part of this grand day to ensure you’re fully informed and ready to embrace the excitement.
Morning Bliss (8:00 am – 9:30 am)
- Melbourne Cricket Club gates open: The day kicks off early with the opening of the Melbourne Cricket Club gates at 8:00 am. It’s the perfect time to soak in the pre-game atmosphere and find your spot.
- Seven Network pre-match coverage begins (9:00 am): Turn on your television as early as 9:00 am to catch the Seven Network’s pre-match coverage. Get insights, analyses, and interviews before the action begins.
- General and AFL Reserve gates open (9:30 am): At 9:30 am, the gates to the General and AFL Reserve areas will open. This is when the excitement starts to build as fans flood into the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
Curtain-Raiser and Sprint (9:35 am – 12:30 pm)
- Grand final curtain-raiser begins (9:35 am): Before the main event, witness the future stars of AFL in action as Team Selwood takes on Team Naitanui in the curtain-raiser match.
- Grand final sprint – heats (12:30 pm): Speed and agility take center stage with the grand final sprint heats. See the fastest players in the league compete for glory.
Pre-Match Anticipation (1:00 pm – 2:30 pm)
- Teams warm up on the MCG (1:00 pm): Watch as both the Collingwood Magpies and Brisbane Lions hit the field for their warm-up sessions. It’s a chance to see the players up close and feel the anticipation building.
- Welcome to Country (1:25 pm): Immerse yourself in Indigenous culture with a traditional Welcome to Country ceremony, paying respects to the land and its custodians.
- Retiring players motorcade (1:25 pm): Celebrate the retiring players as they take a lap around the MCG, accompanied by a performance from the legendary Mike Brady.
- Pre-match entertainment (1:40 pm): Get ready to be entertained with a spectacular show featuring KISS, William Barton, and Jess Hitchcock. It’s an unmissable prelude to the main event.
The Grand Finale (2:11 pm – 5:20 pm)
- Umpires enter the field, match ball is delivered (2:11 pm): The tension mounts as the umpires make their way onto the field, signaling that the game is about to begin.
- Team Entries and Formalities (2:15 pm – 2:30 pm): The teams, Brisbane Lions and Collingwood Magpies, make their grand entrances. Witness the Acknowledgement of Country, the Premiership Cup presentation by ambassador Bachar Houli, and the stirring national anthem performed by Kate Miller-Heidke.
- Coin toss (2:28 pm): The coin toss determines which team will kick off this epic showdown. It’s a pivotal moment in the lead-up to the grand final.
- AFL Grand Final Starts (2:30 pm): The moment we’ve all been waiting for! The 2023 AFL Grand Final officially commences, and the battle for supremacy begins.
- Quarter Time (3:00 pm): After the first quarter, take a breather and reflect on the game’s early moments.
- Second Quarter Starts (3:06 pm): The action resumes in the second quarter as both teams vie for control.
- Half Time (3:36 pm): Enjoy a longer break during half time, and don’t miss the thrilling AFL grand final sprint.
- Half Time Entertainment (3:40 pm): Mark Seymour & The Undertow, along with Kate Miller-Heidke, will keep the energy high during half time.
- Third Quarter Starts (4:00 pm): The third quarter is often the turning point in AFL matches. Watch as the teams make their moves.
- Three-Quarter Time (4:30 pm): Reflect on the game’s progress as we head into the final quarter.
- Fourth Quarter Starts (4:36 pm): The tension reaches its peak in the fourth quarter as both teams push for victory.
- Final Siren (5:06 pm): When the final siren sounds, it signals the end of the game. Witness the culmination of months of hard work and dedication.
- Post-Match Presentation (5:20 pm): Stay tuned for the post-match presentation, where the winning team is awarded the premiership cup and medals.
- Post-Match Entertainment (6:00 pm): KISS takes the stage for a post-match performance that will keep the celebrations going.
Q: Can I bring food and drinks into the MCG? A: Outside food and drinks are not allowed, but there are various food stalls and beverage options inside the stadium.
Q: How do I purchase tickets for the grand final? A: Tickets can be purchased through official AFL channels, and availability may vary.
Q: Is there parking available at the MCG? A: Limited parking is available around the MCG, but public transportation is recommended due to high demand.
Q: Are there activities for kids at the event? A: Yes, there are kid-friendly activities and entertainment options to keep the young ones engaged.
Q: What should I wear to the grand final? A: Wear your team colors to show your support, and don’t forget sunscreen and a hat for daytime events.
Q: Can I bring a camera to the MCG? A: Small personal cameras are generally allowed, but professional-grade equipment may not be permitted.
The 2023 AFL Grand Final promises to be a day filled with excitement, entertainment, and unforgettable moments. With this comprehensive guide, you’re well-equipped to make the most of every minute. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just looking for a fantastic day out, this event has something for everyone. So, get ready to cheer for your team and immerse yourself in the grandeur of Australian Rules Football.